1997-1998 Yamaha GP1200 (GP-1200) idling rough refers to when the jet-ski’s engine runs uneven or erratically while out of gear or disconnected from a load. It could also mean the engine idle speed is too high or too low, which can result in a loss of power.
Achieving proper idle is critical for good performance and it’s important to fix an idling issue immediately. The following information should help you identify and fix a rough idling condition on your 1997-1998 Yamaha GP1200. Check for one or more possible malfunctions:
Idle rough or erratic.
- Idle speed incorrectly adjusted.
- Restricted or plugged low speed fuel passage.
- Air leaks in the jet-ski’s intake tract.
- Throttle linkage sticking or worn.
- Ignition system problem.
- Improperly adjusted low speed mixture screw.
It’s recommended you refer to the downloadable 1997-1998 Yamaha GP1200 factory service manual for additional idle information. The manual also goes into further detail in regards to what’s discussed here.